Home | Research | Churches & Cemeteries | Queries | Surnames Scenes
Colleton County SCGenWeb

Church Histories - Round O, South Carolina

Transcribed by Beverly K. Mott from a bound loose-leaf folder in the Colleton Library titled "Round O".  Author & date of publication not located on the tablet or any of its pages.  If you know who the author of this wonderful information was, please contact me at bev@goidt.com

Church Histories

Cottageville Methodist Church

Land given by Mrs. Anna Willis in 1872.  The first trustees were A.E. Williams, B.G. Willis, Stephen O. Ackerman, Hugo G. Ackerman, and Stobo Perry.  Early leavers were Dr. A. English Williams, James Dandridge, R. Allen Willis. (the roots of this church go back to the old Round O Chapel.)  Stobo Perry was licensed to preach in 1877.  George Pierce was an Evangelist.  In 1878 three members transferred from Rehoboth:  Frederick and Henry Jacques, and Augustus Verdier.  Around this same time John W. Lemacks both Sr. and Jrs. Transferred from Ireland Creek.

Sheridans Chapel

One of the ealier Methodist churches was built by Dr. Hugo Sheridan on his plantation called Sand Hill.  It was made of logs.  This Chapel stood on the Centerville-Cottageville road about 3/4 mile from Centerville on the hill of a swamp.  The only remaining thing is its cemetery.  However, noted when visited in the spring of 1974 that time and nature had almost covered all traces.

Corinth Presbyterian Church

Located on the Givhans Ferry Road near Welch Creek, was built on Koger land in the late 1800's, probably after 1881.  Founded by Joseph, Lemuel, and Fraser Kroger and possibly Daniel Campbell (others if any are unknown) and their families.  The Walterboro preacher also served this church.  It lasted through three generations until services were discontinued about 1950.

Zion Church (as given by Mr. James McDonald)

Mr. McDonald's grandmother was named Martha (Pattie) Chisolm and had been a slave of the Rumph family.  Once when young she had been sold off into North Carolina but had run away and come home all by herself.  He stayed with this grandmother and she took him to church.  She helped start the first church at Zion which was in a pole house.  She was very faithful and loved God.  The last time she attended church her health was so poor that she could not get out of the wagon but sat in it under an oak tree the whole service.  It is believed that the church was built about 1880 and preaching services were held every other Sunday.  Camp meeting was held on the 4th Sunday in Oct. every year.  The preacher and his family tended there and the services lasted a week.  Still holding this meeting but crowds are slimmer now than in old times.  Main recreation on campground was visiting and baseball.  Mr. McDonald remembered:  that Josiah Holt ran a sawmill; that Wm. Hiott ran a store;  that rice was grown and sold to Mr. Joe Dodd; J.R. Stokes had a sawmill where many Round O people worked; that Alfred Stokes had a turpentine still; that the old Sleigh Cemetery was located across from Cecil Utsey place; Jim or Ben Stokes lived at old Blocker house near Providence church; Old Homes Cemetery is on John Rowes place.

Other Churches;  Providence Methodist, Holiness Tabernacle, Mt. Sinai, Calvary, Canaan, Jerico, Welsey Chapel and others.

Ireland Creek Methodist Church

Stood just across Ireland Creek from Round O District.  However it is included since many of its members were from the Round O.  The First church was built on John Fontaine's land of logs.  The Church is the oldest Methodist church in the county.  The first record of it is found in Methodist Bishop Asbury's notes of his travels.  He stated that in March of 1796 he had crossed the Edisto R. and had preached at a pole church called Ireland Creek Methodist.  That it was so cold in the church while preaching he felt like he was standing in a bucket of ice water.  He further said that in Dec. of 1808 he had passed this way again - crossing the Edisto and dining at Kogers and spending the night at Benj. Rishers (these were members of Ireland Creek)

When the Ireland Creek Church became almost a ruin, the congregation with a few exceptions moved to Providence Methodist Church which at that time stood off the main road near its cemetery.  For many years afterward the Ireland Creek site was the scene of an annual gathering and it was referred to as the Ireland Creek Memorial Grounds.

A brick enclosure contains the graves of the O'Bryans.  The wall itself runs the length of two average size rooms and is at least 3 feet high and more than a foot thick.  Buried here is Senator Lewis O'Bryan with a high marble marker.  He died in 1860.  Also here is his father Lewis born 1770 and died in 1849.  On the foot of his stone is the warning "Reader remember the day is coming when you also have to account for thine own deeds".

Margaret O'Bryan helped organized the first missionary society in Colleton in 1878.  Others helping were:  Mrs. Eliza O'Bryan, Miss Lula O'Bryan, Miss Lizzie Lemacks and Mrs. Frank Gizelle.

An old vault with crumbling walls nearby could well have been the resting place of the man named Ireland who the creek is supposed to be named for.  He was buried somewhere near Ireland Creek in the late 1700s.

The following is the last record of members of Ireland Creek before transferring in 1879.  Benj. Risher, Wm. Risher, James A Koker, John W. Lemacks, Levi E. Hiott (died 1878), Jacob DeWitt, Thos. Risher, Elias Cook, Benj. Risher, Jr., Henry DeWitt, John J. Cook, Huggins Koger, Fraser Koger, Joseph A. Koger, John L. Koger, Ira M. Koger, Robert B. Koger, Alfred L. Koger, Lemuel H. Koger, James Yarley, Amos Yarley, H. Langdale, Jeff Risher, Jacob Kay, Albert Linder, Charles Linder, Benj. Kinsey, Wm Bailey, John W. Lemacks, Jr., Anna Lemacks, Eliz. Risher, Mary-Virg-Mary E. and Harriett Koger, Annie Koger, Mary Risher, Mary-Jane-and Vic Landale, Mary Yarley, Eliz. Kinsey, Harriett Cook, Sarah Yarley, Eliz DeWitt, Jane Hiott, Alice Blocker, Angeline Risher, Vickie Garrett, A.E. Risher, Seville Linder, Caroline Kizer, Josephine King, Rebecca DuBose, Mary Bailey, Susan-Mary-Eleanor- and Harriett Bailey, Mary Risher, also two Negro members:  Peggy and Hager Jennings.

Burnt Church (Pon Pon Chapel of Ease - Church of England) was not on the Round O proper but is mentioned because a lot of its members were Round O people.  Built in 1725, it stood on the Parkers Ferry Rd. (stage route) and just off the Round O.




This file was contributed for use by the Colleton County SCGenWeb Project  by:

Beverly K. Mott
March 27, 2004

USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file.

These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain
the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent.