Colleton County, South Carolina
1798 - Jacksonboro was chosen as the first county seat.
1817 - An Act of Legislature changed the county seat to Walterboro.
1818 - The legislature authorized commissioners to select and lay off land in Walterboro for building a court house and jail.
1820 - Commissioners John C. Logan, Henry Ulmer and Richard Bryant submitted to the legislature that they had selected three acres "near Walterborough" for the building of the court house and jail. The land near Ireland Creek, valued at $150, had belonged to Dr. Hugh McBurney.
1822 - The spring court session was the last held at Jacksonboro with the fall session being held in Walterboro.
1823 - James L. Pettigru, Attorney General, passed the title of the lands on March 24.
1824 - Dr. Burney had to request payment from the legislature for the land.
1826 - Walterboro was incorporated.
1843 - The second jail was built by Jonathan Lucas.
undated - The Masons bought the first jail.
1884 - Fire destroyed the Vogler House (Walterboro's first hotel)
This information was compiled from Narratives of Colleton