Location: Traveling northwest on S-18-28, pass Bethel Church and two or more miles turn west on dirt road near a branch for a short distance. The cemetery is on a hill with a field and a stream almost surrounding it. It is fenced with large trees, and the large old Bowman Home was near in the early days.
Copyists: Dorothy G. Pendarvis, Catherine "Dol" I. Hughes, Sybil H. Pate, Louise T. Bishop, Evelyn H. Hughes, Pattie H. Heaton, Lillian H. Harley. Shown by Mrs. Louise T. Bishop.
Date: February 14, 1979
A BRIEF HISTORY With Important Genealogy The oldest remaining tombstone in the Bowman Graveyard is that of the donor, John David W. Bowman, born July 22, 1802, died Oct. 8, 1869, who was married to Rachel Elizabeth (Canaday) Bowman. He was the son of Daniel Bowman and his wife Martha (West) Bowman. Daniel was the son of George Bowman and his wife of Orangeburg District. George was the son of Jacob Bowman, Sr. and Barbara Bowman who immigrated to America from Germany and settled in Orangeburg District in 1735, according to the genealogical records of Dorothy Bowman Moorer and the late Annie Dash Moorer.
In 1932 there were a few broken scattered, unintelligible markers in the Bowman Graveyard, causing us to believe there may be some unmarked graves. Seven of the ten children of the donor, John David W. Bowman, and his wife Rachel Elizabeth (Canaday) Bowman are buried here, along with some of their families. The children were: George, Elizabeth, David Wesley, Henry Washington, John, Mary, and William, the last being our grandfather. Daniel was killed in the War between the States and may be buried in an unmarked grave here. Bertie Bowman Way and Barney Felder, grandchildren of the donor, have been the unofficial trustees of this cemetery. It has a chain-link fence and beautiful setting against the tall pines.
There is a Colleton County Transcript Deed recorded in Deed Book 4, at page 497, in Dorchester County Clerk of Court's records, abstracted as follows: J. H. Means, Governor - To - J. D. W. Bowman - Grant to R. E. State of S.C. ..."That in pursuance of an Act of the Legislature entitled An Act for establishing the made Granting the Lands now vacant in this State and for allowing a communtation to be received for some Lands that have been granted". . .Passed the 19th of February 1791. We have granted and by these presents do grant unto J. D. W. Bowman . . . A Plantation or tract of land containing 387 acres, . . . surveyed 1 April 1852. Situated in Colleton District in St. Georges Parish on Four Hole Swamp. [Reference made to the Plat recorded in Colleton County Transcripts 1897 to Dorchester County, Deed Book 4, page 497.] (Signed) His Excellency J. H. Means, Governor and Commander in Chief . . . 1st November 1852. We are of the opinion that the early Bowman home and Graveyard was situated on this plantation or tract of land. Dorothy Bowman Moorer and Emily Moorer Reeves
Annie W. Bowman
W. J. - Son of
CEMETERY INSCRIPTIONS OF DORCHESTER COUNTY, SC:
© 1979 Lillian H. Harley, Pattie W. Heaton, Lillian D. Kizer
Top of Page
Dorchester Co SCGenWeb