Location: South of Old Wire Road (S-18-19) near Edisto River.
Established: The earliest epitaph found was that of Elizabeth Ann Appleby bearing the death date of 16 October 1838; however, we have been told that this is one of the oldest burying grounds in upper Dorchester County, and there probably were earlier burials. The masters and their families were buried on the hill, and a deep ditch surrounded this area, then the beloved slaves were buried beyond the ditch. This method was used in several of the earliest cemeteries.
Copyists: Mr. & Mrs. J. Wilson Patrick, and Mr. & Mrs. D. M. Hutto
Alfred M. W. Appleby
Florence Elizabeth Appleby
*Peter S. Appleby
CEMETERY INSCRIPTIONS OF DORCHESTER COUNTY, SC:
© 1979 Lillian H. Harley, Pattie W. Heaton, Lillian D. Kizer
Photographs by Paulette Johnston
Top of Page
Dorchester Co SCGenWeb
USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent.