CEMETERY INSCRIPTIONS OF DORCHESTER COUNTY, SC
Compiled by Lillian H. Harley, Pattie W. Heaton, Lillian D. Kizer
Locations: One Koger tombstone east of home of Mr. & Mrs. Fitzhugh Sweatman. One Koger tombstone about a mile south of the Sweatman home on Wire Road then about one-half mile south in woods.
History: In the late 1700's or early 1800's Joseph Koger had a two story Inn built on the Stagecoach (Wire) Road - from Charleston to Augusta. Joseph Koger was not enumerated in the 1790 First Census of St. George Parish, Dorchester, Charleston District, only one listed in South Carolina was Thomas Koker (p. 84) in Ninety-six District, Pendleton County. In Thomas' household were 2 males under 16 years, 4 females, and 4 slaves. On a map of Colleton District, South Carolina, surveyed by Saml. A. Ruddock, 1820, improved for Mills' Atlas, 1825, appears KOGER a few miles south of Appleberry, on the Old Wire Road, just where it stands today.
The Koger residence was built mostly of black cypress with massive pillows, a porch surrounding. Joseph used it as an Inn along the stagecoach road. Bishop Francis Asbury mentions stopping to dine with Captain Kogers Tuesday, November 29, 1803. On Tuesday, December 13, 1808 Francis Asbury crossed Edisto, dining at Koger's. This is believed to have been the Koger family that sent the first missionary to Brazil in 1881 - the Rev. James W. Koger (1852-1886) who died of yellow fever. The Koger families may have been related. Joseph Koger became an officer in the militia of South Carolina during the Revolution. He wrote to some of his cousins in Henry County, Virginia, on Smiths River, from South Carolina Scull Swamp October 4th 1783, which was in Colleton County formerly a part of Charleston District. Joseph Koger became a Major, and was a member of S.C.House (1806-1812), and Senate (1818-1838), and Colleton County Sheriff (1813-1817). Koger moved to Mississippi in 1838, giving his slaves their choice of going with him or receiving freedom. Chancellor James P. Carroll of Columbia bought the Major Joseph Koger house and it became known as the CARROLL HOUSE, Dorchester County, by which name it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The present owner of this property is Fitzhugh L. Sweatman, Jr. Subsequent owners of the plantation were F. L. Sweatman, Sr., H. A. Westendorff, Dan Canaday, John S. Murray, and probably others. The Sweatman family opened the house for showing during the Tricentennial, and the Bicentennial. They are very interested in the restoration of it.
Merle Koger Berry
Additional information: Joseph Koger I, was a planter and inventor of the first rice threshing machine in South Carolina, and served in the rank of Captain under General Francis Marion in the American Revolution. The Joseph Koger Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Blackville is named in his honor.
Merle Koger BerryMr. & Mrs. Fitzhugh L. Sweatman, Jr. gave permission to Lillian D. Kizer, Cleo C. Rickborn, and Lillian H. Harley on 26 March 1979 to copy the only standing tombstone situated in the middle of their field east of their home, which is below:
On 1st April 1979 Mr. & Mrs. Fitzhugh L. Sweatman, Jr. took us to the graves of Kogers buried in the woods about one and one-half mile east of their home.
Joseph Koger - Who was born
15th Feb. 1769
and died on the 17th June 1812
Alfred James - Their Son
Born 27th Dec. 1802
& died 25th Jan. 1803
She was a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church
And died in the full Triumph
This Marble is dedicated To
Her respect by her husband. J. K.
CEMETERY INSCRIPTIONS OF DORCHESTER COUNTY, SC:
© 1979 Lillian H. Harley, Pattie W. Heaton, Lillian D. Kizer
Top of Page
Dorchester Co SCGenWeb