Byrd, a little community located about two miles east of St. George on U.S. Highway 78 at its junction with County Highways 161, seems to have been so named for the Byrd family presently or formerly residents there.
Campbell Thickett Road community is located about a mile east of the town of Ridgeville along County Highway 68, between its junction with State Highway 27 and U.S. Highway 178. The name is descriptive of the Campbell family's holdings or former holdings in this area.
Cattle Creek community is located in the extreme northwestern area of the county and is bounded by Cattle Creek (from which it apparently takes its name) on the eastern side and by Orangeburg and Colleton Counties to the northwest and southwest respectively. It is a very fitting name in an agricultural area.
Club House community is located at the junction of County Highways 63 and 84, about two miles equidistant from U.S. Highway 17-A to the north and the Charleston County line to the south. It is said that the Club House burned some years ago. Evidently it was the local gathering place, similar to the old country tavern.
Cow Tail community extends for about three miles along County Highway 26 from the east side of its junction with County Highway 79 to Polk Swamp in the East. It is roughly a vertical hour-glass in shape with Highway 26 forming the upper left and lower right sides. Origin unknown.
Duncan Chapel community is located in the northern end of Dorchester County. It extends from approximately a mile east of the junction of U.S. Highway 176 and County Highway 20 with Interstate Highway 26, and from near the junction of County Highways 11 and 337 to the Orangeburg County line. It evidently takes its name from the Duncan family who live or formerly lived there.
Fitter's Kitchen is a black community located just outside of and to the northeast of St. George, bordered by U.S. Highways 15 and 78. The dialect here is most difficult to understand and seems to have no relationship to the coastal Gullah dialects. It was concluded by the county employees that the name was actually Phillis' Kitchen, evidently a community gathering place in that area.
Four Holes Swamp is the large swamp which forms the upper half of the northern boundary of Dorchester County with Orangeburg and Berkeley Counties. It is said to be so named because the water in the swamp starts from four holes or springs. Derives its name from four large pits which alternately suck in and expel the waters of the swamp. From the discharging holes the water boils over like a mighty well, and into the receiving holes it plunges with considerable noise.
Grover, when incorporated 1892, named in honor of President Grover Cleveland.
Jedburg was named for its first postmaster, Jed Selicks.
Lincoln Green is a little black community located on both sides of U.S. Highway 78 about a mile west of the town of Dorchester. The dialect here is difficult to understand. The Lincoln part could mean that it was named in honor of their benefactor; the green could come from a pasture or cattle farm.
Knightsville, a rather large community, borders the town of Summerville to the immediate west in a maze of County Highways: 58, 13, 231, 300, 22, 35, 325, 288, 75, 323, 57, 387, 326, 390, 389, 394, State Highway 642, and U.S. Highway 17-A. it takes its name from the Knight family who predominate there.
Mt. Zion community is located to the northwest of the town of St. George, among the tangle of County Highways 85, 86, 39, 54, 73, 169 and 48. It seems to have taken its name from Mt. Zion Church located there. The name is of Biblical origin.
Old St. George is a small community, located about a mile southwest of the town of St. George. It is bordered to the northeast by Polk Swamp, to the southeast by County Highway 49, and to the northwest by the Cow Tail community. Possibly it cornmemomtes the moving of the location of the County seat (St. George) from the south side to the north side of Polk Swamp.
Old Wire Road is the local name for County Highway 19 as it runs from its junction with County Highway 30 to the Orangeburg County line. This road lies about two miles from the Edisto River, the Dorchester - Colleton County boundary. It is said to be so named from wagons using it to carry (fence?) wire from Orangeburg.
Pregnall is centered where County Highway 135 runs into U.S. Highway 78. A well known family name of early landowners in Dorchester and Charleston Counties.
Rosinville is centered around the crossroads of U.S. Highways 15 and 178. It was so named because it is a shipping point for the products of the pine tree, including rosin.
Ridgeville was formerly called Timothy Creek for a nearby stream. It was renamed Ridgeville in 1842, because of its situation on a pine ridge.
- Ridgeville at Charmingtowns.com
St. George is the county seat. There are two theories concerning the origin of the name: 1. In colonial times the section was included in the Parish of St. George, Dorchester. 2. The town was built on land belonging to James George, the first settler, who had a log store. Prior names: George's Turnout, George's Station. When the town was incorporated the name was given as St. George.
- St. George at Charmingtowns.com
Seven Mile Road is the local name for County Highway 50, which parallels in an uncertain way U.S. Highway 178 to the north. It goes from Interstate Highway 26 in the east, to Rosinville in the west - a distance, presumably, of seven miles.
Stallsville is the community located in and around the crossroads of State Highways 165 and 642. It is so named for the family of Stall who live there.
Summerville was so named for its use as an early summer resort for planters. Also known as the "Flower Town in the Pines."
- Summerville (Including history of the town)
Bull, Elias B. "A Brief Survey of Dorchester County." Names in South Carolina XV (Winter 1968):27-28. Sources: Carl Knight, Sheriff's Deputy, Dorchester County, in charge of the St. George office. The Head of the Dorchester Department of Public Welfare. The plottings of the names given in this article are based on the "General Highway Map, Dorchester County. Prepared by the State Highway Department in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Public Roads." 1959 Edition.
Federal Writer Association. Work Project Administration. Palmetto Place Names.
- The Town of Dorchester, In South Carolina - A Sketch of Its History This article by Henry A. M. Smith first appeared in the South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol VI - No 2, April 1905
- Dorchester at Charmingtowns.com