Memorials and Plaques
Old Gwinnett County Courthouse, Lawrenceville, Georgia
On July 20, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, were closing in on Atlanta. Hg 2nd Cavalry Division Brig. Gen Kenner Garrard was in Decatur, 6 miles E of Atlanta. Garrard's three brigades were guarding bridges over the Chattahoochee River and picketing hte left flank. That night, Garrard was ordered to assemble his command and march to Covington (29 miles S) to burn the bridges over the Yellow and Ulcofauhachee (Alcovy) rivers and destroy the Georgia Railroad in that area.
He marched late on the 21st. Next morning the destruction was begun. At Covnington, he burned the depot, a newly -built hospital center, 2,000 bales of cotton, and large quantities of quartermaster and commisary supplies. After destroyng 2 railroad and 4 wagon bridges, 3 trains and 6 miles of track, he turned north toward Loganville (11 miles SE) arriving there on July 23rd.
While Long's and Miller's brigades performed the same mission in and around Loganville, Garrard detached Minty's brigade to Lawrenceville to strip this area of horses and mules. Reaching Lawrenceville later in the day, Minty encountered a small force of cavalry which, after a sharp skirmish, he drove from the town. After rounding up all stock which has not been hidden, at his approach, Minty moved up to Yellow River (4 miles SW) and made camp. Next morning he marched to Decatur to rejoin Garrard.
Read about the Memorial to those from Lawrenceville who died in 1836.