Home  |    Towns    |    Research    |    Cemeteries     |      Photo Album     |     Surnames  |    History

    Fairview Presbyterian Church
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Fairview Presbyterian Church Bird's Eye
                        View
The picture above was taken in March 2013 from the 7th floor of Gwinnett Medical Center. 
We were sorry to have been there, but it was a lovely sunrise and sunset view!


fairview
                          cemetery

fairview
Organized 1821

Located on Duluth Highway at corner of Lawrenceville-Suwanee RoadIn spite of the heavy traffic on Duluth Highway and Lawrenceville Suwanee Road, this lovely church on the hill remains a landmark in this area.  I wish the sun had not ducked behind the clouds, because the day I took these photographs was a perfect sunny, cool day (especially for August!).   I don't think you could get closer to Heaven than in this cemetery. It is just beautiful, and maintained better than most.  As far as I know, no transcriptions of this cemetery are available for free access online.  If you have any actual transcriptions of your family members' tombstones, please consider sharing them here.

Early History of Fairview Presbyterian Church

Used with permission of Fairview Presybyterian Church (Anthony Grimsley), August 22, 2005.  See LINK below to the official web site of Fairview Presbyterian Church.

Fairview Presbyterian Church of Gwinnett County, Georgia was organized on the 9th day of August in the year 1823. It was organized by the Reverend Remembrance Chamberlain. Thomas Beattie, Samuel Reid, and William Montgomery were set apart to the exercise of their office on the 28th of September,1823, agreeable to our book of discipline. Thomas Beattie having been a ruling elder in the congregation of Goodhope, South Carolina.

 

How the name "Fairview" came to be

Fairview Down one of Ireland's greenest of green lanes, bordered on either side with neatly clipped hedges of hawthorne, white with blossom, carpeted with velvet sward, studded with ox-eyed daisies; overhead floated soft, fleecy clouds in a sea of blue ether; no sound save the droning of bees among the flowers; the cawing of a colony of rooks in the castle woods; distant lowing of cattle. A study fair of white, blue, gray, and green. A calm Sabbath in May, in the year 1750. The sound of voices, and lo, a long procession of men, women, and little children, following like sheep an old, old man whose long silvery locks fell in rippling curls on the stooping shoulders. He walked very slowly, aided by a shepard's crook.

 

The lane ended at the foot of a knoll on whose summit stood and perhaps still stands, a gray stone church overgrown with ivy, which grows more luxuriantly in Ireland than elsewhere, because tradition as well as history tells us that Ireland was once one vast scape of hill and dale; a wide stretch of country, grim, old castles in ruins, farm houses nestling in the midst of smiling farms, with here and there a native hovel to mar the beauty of the scene. In the distance flashed the silver waters of the Lough in their basin of emerald and gray stone. The exiled Scots loved this fair spot where they had found a brief refuge from persecution and had named their church Fairview.

The Pedens of America, The Flitting, page 17, 1961,Hiott Press, Greenville, S.C.

The Original Pioneers

Thos. Beattie, Sam'l Reid, W.J.Russell, James C. Reed, M.Montgomery, James M. Gresham, Geo. M.Gresham, Phillip Isley, Cath. Montgomery, Isabel Jackson, Mary Reid, Margaret Beattie, Mary A.Isley. These people took a covenant together to start this church.

The History of the Churches 1823-1911

The history naturally falls into two periods-before and after the war. Before the war the church enjoyed her greatest prosperity, having on her rolls over 250 names, and being the leading church for miles around. She enjoyed the ministerial services of Rev.John S.Wilson and Rev.James C. Patterson, men of the highest ability, for a period of thirty one years. These men, while preaching at Fairview, also taught in the Lawrenceville Academy. Something of the ability of these two faithful preachers may be seen from the fact that when they were called away from Fairview the Rev. Mr. Wilson went to the pastorate of the Presbyterian church in Decatur, and the Rev. Mr. Patterson to the presidency of the Synodical Female College at Griffin, Ga.

 
Dr. Wilson was a strong advocate of temperance, and made temperance speeches in this part of the state. He was a leading minister in the Presbyterian church, and was a member of eleven general assemblies. Besides being pastor of the Decatur church he was principal of the Hannah Moore Institute at that place. He moved from Decatur to Atlanta, and was pastor of the First Presbyterian church until the day of his death. He was regarded as one of the strongest preachers in Georgia. He preached long sermons, but was listened to with attention. On July 12, 1831, near the close of his faithful ministry, twenty members were dismissed to in forming the new church of Goshen, now the Norcross Presbyterian Church.

 

Dr. Patterson was also proprietor of the Laboring School Farm, located between Fairview and the public road which passed the residence of Mr. Sam. Craig. This school had quite a reputation among Presbyterians all over the state. Dr. Patterson had the reputation of a man who controls bad boys, and was able to accomplish a great work in his school. His work in Griffin was of the highest order. He did not live long after moving there.

 

Just prior to the war the church grew weaker, owing to the removal of many members to other parts, and to the general unsettled condition. Services were maintained without a break up to and through the year '61, though in '62 there seems to have been no regular pastor. All during the rest of the war services were maintained. At its close things were so demoralized that there are no records at all for the larger part of 1865 and 1866.

The first record thereafter reads thus:


"The war having thrown everything into a state of derangement, no regular record was made of the meetings of the session from April 1865, till June 1866, at which time the session engaged the ministerial services of Rev. J.Wilson as stated supply till January, 1867."
This entry is made by the Rev. J.Wilson.

 
Mr. Wm. H.Mayne was clerk of session during the war, and there is an unfinished entry made by him in the book, dated April, 1865. From this time he disappears entirely from the records.

The history of the church immediately after the war is largely the history of the reconstruction period. Beginning with the first pastorate of the beloved Rev.J.L.King in 1869 things began to brighten a bit and during his eleven years of devoted and faithful service in one of the most trying periods of our Southland's history, marked gains were made and much good accomplished.

 
During the next pastorate, 1881-1885, that of the Rev.J.F.McClelland, some of the seed sown in the previous pastorate ripened and was gathered. Following are some of the names added to the roll at this time: Geo. W.F.Craig, Jno.E. Craig,Jr., Nancy J. Craig, Mrs.R.A.L. Williams, Misses Kate and Lizzie Williams, T.R. Powell by letter, Donald Williams, Mrs. L.A. Woodward, Mrs. Sally Williams, Thomas S. Byrd, Wm. T. Craig, and John W.N. Williams, names familiar to us all.

 
Bro.McClelland served the church well and faithfully for nearly five years, winning his way into the hearts of all, and then "fell asleep in Jesus." Beautiful resolutions were prepared by C.H. Brand, J.W. Wilson, and T.R. Powell, and were adopted by the church and spread on page of session book.

 

The Rev. Mr. McClelland was followed by the Rev. Sam Scott, who seems to have served the church acceptably for something over a year. Among the names added to the roll at this time are; Messers, Sam, Craig, J.C. Williams, I.A. Corbin, Robt.T.Craig, R.Roland Williams, and Misses Annie Winn and Mary Hutchins.

From 1886 the church was served by three ministers till 1891, when the Rev. J.L.King returned and served again for ten years, his two pastorates, totaling 21 years, the longest in the history of the church. Bro. King's second pastorate was not nearly so successful at his first, owing largely to the fact that a goodly portion of the strength of Fairview, consisting of 26 members, was by act of session, April 12, 1891, dismissed to form the Lawrenceville Presbytery church. Four elders and three deacons were among the 26 members dismissed, leaving the old church with but two elders and one deacon, viz: Elder James R. Noel, now residing in Texas, W.D.Byrd, residing in Atlanta, and Deacon J.B. Davis.

 

On May 9, 1891, the congregation elected Mr.J.B.Davis and Mr. Corbin elders, and Mr.Wm.Craig, a deacon. On May 10, 1891, Bro. King ordained and installed Mr.Davis as an elder and Mr.Craig as a deacon. On July 12, 1891, Elder Noel was dismissed to join some church in Texas, and at a congregational meeting, Mr.Donald Williams was elected an elder. The following trustees were also elected: Messers, John Williams, Donald Williams, and Wm.Craig.

 

On May 8, 1892, Mr. A.T. Roberts was elected and he and Mr. Donald Williams were ordained and installed as elders of Fairview church. This made the official force of the church to consist of Elders W.D.Byrd, J.B.Davis, Donald S. Williams, and A.T. Roberts, and Deacon Wm.Craig. Practically all the members who withdrew to form the church in Lawrenceville were residents of the town, and it was the most sane and logical thing to do, weakening as it was to the old church. Time has shown the wisdom of the step, and in the present activity and prosperous condition of both churches can be read the fact that the wisdom of the all-wise Father has been leading in and through all.

During all the last years of Bro. King's ministry his parishioners at Fairview clung to him with a love and devotion only equalled by the tenderness of his heart in return for them. He literally wore out at Fairview and died in harness. He often expressed the wish to be buried at Fairview, where he has a little son sleeping now, whose grave is carefully tended by our members. He still lives in the hearts of many at Fairview.

 
The church was vacant after Bro. King left in 1901, until about August, 1902, when the Rev.W.Lee Harrell became the pastor. Bro. Harrell's pastorate covered the annual meetings in August 1902-1903. Rev.W.P. Hemphill, evangelist, was present during the August meeting of 1902. Among those who joined at this time was our present treasurer, Mr.Frank Y.Williams. From this time for several years the church was without a pastor. In 1905 the Rev. W.P. Hemphill returned and conducted the August meeting. This was a very successful meeting and did much to revive the members and hold them together. Among those joining at this time were G.P.Craig, Precious Craig, John Baucham, W.D.Huston, Henry Craig, Evelin Childers, and Lizzie Huston.

 
In 1906 the Rev.J.H.Dixon served as pastor, and at the August meeting the following were enrolled as members: Ruth Williams, Susie Williams, Nellie Williams, and Minnie Craig.

In August, 1907,Evangelist Frank D.Hunt, of the Atlanta presbytery, came to Fairview and succeeded in arousing a good deal of enthusiasm, firing the members with faith in God and in themselves and with zeal for the work. The following were received into the church at this time: Robert M.Kemp and his wife, Margaret S.Kemp, Mrs. Sam Craig, Mrs. Lola F. Brownlee, Hattie E. Thompson, and Susie Quinn.

 
The following new officers were elected, ordained, and installed: Elders- Samuel Craig, Claud G.Craig, J.C.Williams. Deacons- Frank Y. Williams, W.D.Huston, and R.M.Kemp. At this time a building committee was appointed to have charge of repairs on the church, consisting of Samuel Craig, J.C.Williams, and Claude G.Craig.

 

Rev.Fritz Rauschenberg began serving the church as pastor in October, 1907, preaching for the church once a month, coming from the Seminary in Columbia, S.C., until May, 1908, when he was installed as pastor by a commission from Atlanta presbytery. He found the congregation ripe for a forward movement, thanks to the efforts of Bro.Hunt, the sturdy strength of character of the leading elements in the church, and withal the presence and blessing of the Holy Spirit of God, who has led us to this good moment, and made all these blessings possible.

 

Mr. Rauschenberg resigned in the spring of 1911, and moved to College Park in June, where he is pastor of the church.

Rev.J.M.Harris, of North Carolina, was next called to the pastorate of this church and entered upon his work in July, 1911.

 

Officers 1823 - 1911

The following table gives a list of the ministers, elders, clerks of session, and deacons who have served the church. The list is as complete and accurate as possible from the data at hand:

Ministers-

Rev.Remembrance Chamberlain, 1823 to 1824;
John Simpson Wilson, 1825 to 1838;
James C.Patterson, 1838 to 1855;
Thos.B.Noel, 1855 to 1856;
W.C.Smith, 1857 to 1861;
J.G.Downing, 1863 to 1865;
James Wilson, 1867;
Mr. Wood, 1868;
J.L.King, 1869 to 1880;
J.F.McClelland, 1881 to 1885;
Sam Scott, 1886 to 1887;
W.H.A.Johnson, 1888 to 1889;
John E.Dubose, 1889 to 1890;
R.N.Abraham, 1891;
J.L.King, 1891 to 1901;
W.Lee Harrell, 1902 to 1903;
J.H.Dixon, 1905 to 1906;
Fritz Rauschenberg, 1907 to June 1911.

Elders-

Thomas Beattie, 1823-1826;
Samuel Reid, 1823 to 1850,
William Montgomery, 1823 to 1850;
Thos.W.Alexander, 1825 to 1827;
Geo. M.Gresham, 1825 to 1836;
Richard Saye, 1826;
Moses Liddell,1826 to 1857;
John Mills, 1830 to 1872;
John Conine, 1832 to 1844;
Miza Strickland, 1835 to 1882;
David L. Wardlaw, 1839 to 1850;
Ahel R.Smith, 1839 to 1852;
Azariah Noel, 1847 to 1877;
Hamilton Garmany, 1849 to 1853;
David L.Wardlaw, 1855 to 1867;
O.P. Strickland, 1855 to 1860;
Wm.H.Mayne, 1855 to 1865;
D.M. Byrd, 1869 to 1880;
Wm.Kemp, 1869;
W.D.Byrd, 1874 to 1906;
J.D.Hood, 1874 to 1891;
G.B.Atkinson, 1874 to 1875;
James W.Wilson, 1880 to 1891;
James R.Noel, 1880 to 1891;
T.R.Powell, 1882 to 1891;
A.M.Winn, 1885 to 1891;
J.B.Davis, 1891 to 1902;
Donald Williams, 1891 to 1907;
A.T.Roberts, 1892 to 1907;
Samuel Craig, 1907;
Claude G.Craig, 1907;
J.C.Williams, 1907.

 Clerks of Session-

(1) Geo. Gresham;
(2) Thomas W.Alexander;
(3) John Mills;
(4) Thomas W.Alexander;
(5) Abel R.Smith;
(6)Wm. H.Mayne;
(7) John Mills;
(8) D.M.Byrd;
(9) W.D.Byrd;
(10) T.R.Powell;
(11) W.D.Byrd;
(12) A.T.Roberts
(13) Claude G.Craig.

Deacons-

John N.Alexander, 1811;
James H.Alexander, 1811;
Geo. Anderson, 1811;
Samuel F.Alexander, 1811;
James R.Noel, 1875 to 1880;
J.B.Davis, 1875;
Geo.W.F.Craig, 1882 to 1885;
John W.N.Williams, 1882;
W.H.Harvey, 1890 to 1891;
Wm.Craig, 1891;
Levi C.Brand, 1895;
W.D.Huston, 1907;
Frank Y.Williams, 1907;
R.M.Kemp, 1907.

Membership, August, 1911:

J.P.Byrd, D.H.Byrd, Miss Cora Byrd, M.D.Baugheum, John Baugheum, Mrs. Lola F.Brownlee, Miss Mary Byrd, Byrd Brownlee, John E.Craig, W.T. Craig, Miss Anna Craig, Miss Clara Craig, Miss Elton Craig, Samuel Craig, Mrs. Samuel Craig, R.T. Craig, Mrs. R.T.Craig, Miss Minnie Craig, Claude G.Craig, G.P.Craig, Miss Maude Craig, Miss Precious Craig, Henry Craig, Miss Mary Craig, I.A.Corbin, Mrs.Evelin Gowers, Mrs.M.A.Dobbins, Mrs. Alice Dodds, Miss Bobbie Dodds, Noel Dodds, M.W.Dodds, W.D.Huston, Miss Lizzie Huston Huff, Mrs.Mary Huston, Mrs. Margaret Huston, Mrs. W.D.Huston, Mrs. Robert Kemp, R.M.Kemp, Geo. W.Long, Sam P.Quinn, Mrs. Sam P. Quinn, Mrs. Mary E.Roberts, Mrs. Margaret Roberts, Mrs. Lee Thompson, Miss Hattie Thompson; Miss Thompson, Mrs. D.S.Williams, Miss Mattie Williams, Miss Mamie Williams, Miss Ruth Williams, Miss Susie Williams, Miss Nellie Williams, Miss Lena Williams, Mrs. R.A.Williams, Miss Kate Williams, Miss Lizzie Williams, F.Y.Williams, R.R.Williams, R.A.Williams, J.C.Williams, W.H.Wilson, Emmett Johnson, Claude Parks, Henry Mitchell, Grady Davis, Miss Ethel Jones, Mrs. Quillion Bradford, Miss Zadie Jones, Miss Mary Kemp, Miss Annie Kemp, Miss Cammie Dillard, Mrs. W.H.Britt.

 

More History

In 1823, James Wardlaw, first clerk of the Inferior Court of Gwinnett County, sold and deeded two acres of land to the officials of Fairview Presbyterian Church.

The church was organized August 9, 1823, by Rev. Remembrance Chamberlain. Thomas Beattie, Samuel Reid, and William Montgomery were set apart as elders on September 23, 1823, agreeable to the book of discipline.

The covenant of the church was signed by these charter members: Mary A.Isley, Margaret Beattie, Mary Reid,Isabel Jackson, Catherine Montgomery, Phillip Isley, George M.Gresham, James M.Gresham, William Montgomery, James C.Reid, W.J.Russell, Samuel Reid, and Thomas Beattie.

 On August 6, 1825, the Presbytery of Hopewell convened in this church. This was the first Presbytery meeting west of the Ocmulgee River.

 Dr. John S.Wilson followed the Rev.Mr.Chamberlain as pastor from 1825 to 1838. He also taught at the Lawrenceville Academy.

 In 1834 twenty members were dismissed to assist in forming a new church at Goshen, now the Norcross Presbyterian Church.

Dr.Wilson was succeeded by Rev. James C.Patterson. He was also proprietor of the Laboring School Farm between Fairview and the Sam Craig place.

Before the War between the states the church had 250 members and was the leading church for miles around. Services have been held regularly except from April, 1865 to June, 1866.

On April 12, 1891, twenty-six members were dismissed to form the Lawrenceville Presbyterian Church.

In 1907, the Rev.Fritz Rauschenberg came to the church as pastor. He inspired the people to remodel the church building. He worked as hard as anyone in doing the actual work. The basic structure was not changed. A new roof was put on in 1949. Then in 1950 the Rev.James McNair came to be our new pastor. During the first years of his pastorate (about 1952-1953) the annex was built on the back, giving us three class rooms, rest rooms, and a kitchen.

For many years the church only had services once a month, then it increased to two services a month. In 1954, we began having services each Sunday, the Pastor preaching at Fairview at 10a.m., then going to Lawrenceville at 11

Fairview is the oldest Presbyterian church in the area now comprising the Presbytery of Greater Atlanta.

The architect and builder of the church was James S.Russell, one of its first members. Remodeled in later years, the original timbers of the basic structures are still intact.

 

History of Fairview Church by Rev.Fritz Rauschenberg

Ninety years after General James Oglethorpe's Colony of one hundred and twenty settled Savannah, Fairview Presbyterian Church was founded and eighty-five years this side of the founding of the church we are here present. Fifteen years after the founding of Fairview, the last of the Indians were removed from the state to Indian Territory and sixteen after her organization, the first settlement was made on the present site of Atlanta; eight years later the name "Atlanta" was given to the place. Long before Atlanta saw the light of day, when the Indians were still a menace and when farming was crude and laborious, the old hills of Gwinnett and adjoining counties resounded with the hum and bustle of sturdy and industrious men, bent on securing for themselves and their children those inalienable rights of civil and religious liberty, so gloriously contended for in the late War of the Revolution.

In the year 1823, a company of these men gathered together for the purpose of organizing a church. Perhaps I can best introduce them and their noble purposes to you by incorporating herein from the original session book, the record of organization and covenant assumed.

"The Presbyterian Church of Fairview, Gwinnett County, Georgia, was organized on the 9th of August, 1823 by the Rev.Remembrance Chamberlain. Thomas Beattie, Samuel Reid, and William Montgomery were set apart to the exercise of their office on the 28th of September, 1823, agreeable to our book of discipline. Thomas Beattie having been a Ruling Elder in the congregation of Goodhope, South Carolina."

Covenant

We, the subscribers, having been regularly admitted into the communion of the Presbyterian Church and being at the time free from its censures, and desiring to enjoy the privileges and discipline of a church as soon as possible, do hereby cheerfully and solemnly pledge ourselves to each other and to the great Head of the Church, to endeavor henceforth to walk in all the commandments of the Lord blameless and to obey such Elders in the Lord as may be duly appointed over us, and to place ourselves under the Hopewell Presbytery and to take all regular steps to be supplied with the regular ministrations of the Gospel of Christ.

Thomas Beattie
M.Montgomery
Isabel Jackson
Samuel Reid
James M.Gresham
Mary Reid
W.J.Russell
George M.Gresham
Margaret Beattie
James C.Reed
Catherine Montgomery
Mary A.Isley
Phillip Isley

Thus did these sturdy pioneers originate a movement which, under God and his blessing, has continued down to the present time and still lives teeming with opportunity and possibility. The history naturally falls into two periods -before and after the Civil War. Before the war, the church enjoyed her greatest prosperity; in her palmist days, having on her rolls over 250 names and being the leading church for miles around. She enjoyed the ministerial services of Rev.John S.Wilson, and Rev.James C.Patterson, men of the highest ability, for a period of thirty-one years. These men, while preaching at Fairview, taught in the Lawrenceville Academy. Something of the ability of these two faithful preachers was seen from the fact that when they were called away from Fairview Church, Rev.Mr.Wilson was called to the pastorate of the Presbyterian Church in Decatur and Rev.Mr.Patterson to the Presidency of the Synodical Female College at Griffin, Georgia. Dr.Wilson was a strong advocate of temperance and made temperance speeches in this part of the State. He was a leading minister in the Presbyterian Church and was a member of 11 General Assemblies. Besides being Pastor of the Decatur Church, he was Principal (Rector) of the Hannah Moore Institute of that place. He moved from Decatur to Atlanta and was Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church until the day of his death. He was regarded as one of the strongest preachers in Georgia. He preached long sermons but was listened to with attention. On July 12, 1834, near the close of his faithful ministry, 20 members were dismissed to assist in forming the new Church of Goshen, now the Norcross Presbyterian Church.

Dr.Patterson was also proprietor of the Laboring School Farm, located between Fairview and the public road which passes the residence of Mr. Sam Craig. This school had a reputation among the Presbyterians all over the state. Dr.Patterson had the reputation of a man who controls bad boys and was able to accomplish a great work in his school. His work in Griffin was of the highest order. He did not live long after he moved here.

Just prior to the War the church grew weaker, owing to the removal of many members and to the generally unsettled condition. Services were maintained without a break up to and through the year 1861; in the year 1862 there seems to have been no regular pastor; all during the rest of the War services were maintained. At the close of the War things were so utterly demoralized that there were no records at all for the larger part of 1865; the first record thereafter reads thus:

"The War having thrown every thing into such a state of derangement, no regular record was made of the meetings of the session from April, 1865 until June, 1866, at which time the session engaged the services of Rev.J.Wilson, as Stated Supply, until Jan., 1867."

This entry is made by the Rev.J.Wilson. Mr. William M.Mayne was the Clerk of the Session during the War and there is an unfinished entry made by him in the book dated April, 1865. From this time he disappears entirely from the records.

The history of the church immediately after the War is largely the history of the Reconstruction Period. Beginning with the pastorate of the beloved Rev.J.L.King in 1869 things began to brighten up a bit and during his eleven years of devoted and faithful service in one of the most trying periods of our Southland's History, marked gains were made and much good accomplished.

During the next pastorate, 1881-1885, that of Rev.J.F.McClelland, some of the seed sown in the previous pastorate ripened and was gathered. Following are some of the names added to the roll at this time:

George W.F.Craig
T.R.Powell by letter
John E.Craig, Jr.
Donald S.Williams
Nancy J.Craig
Mrs. L.A.Woodward
Mrs. R.A.L.Williams
Mrs. Sally Williams
Miss Kate Williams
Miss Lizzie Williams
Mrs.L.A.Woodward
William T.Craig
Mrs.Sallie Williams
John W.N.Williams
Thomas S.Byrd

These names are all familiar to the church.

Brother McClelland served the church well and faithfully for nearly five years, winning his way into the hearts of all and then "fell asleep in Jesus." Beautiful resolutions were prepared by C.H.Brand, J.W.Wilson, and T.R.Powell; these were adopted by the church and spread on the minutes. The Rev.Mr.McClelland was followed by Rev.Samuel Scott, who seems to have served the church acceptably for something over a year. Among the names added to the roll at this time are:

Mr.Sam Craig
J.C.Williams
L.A.Corbin
Robert T.Craig
R.R.Williams
Miss Annie Winn
Miss Mary Hutchins

From 1886, the church was served by three ministers until 1889, when the Rev.J.L.King returned again and served for ten years, his two pastorates totaling 21 years,the longest in the History of the church. Bro.King's second pastorate was not nearly so successful as his first, owing largely to the fact that a goodly portion of the strength of Fairview, consisting of 26 members were by an act of the Session on April 12, 1891, dismissed to form the Lawrenceville Presbyterian Church. Four Elders and three Deacons were among the 26 who were dismissed leaving only two Elders; James R.Noel now in Texas and W.D.Byrd of Atlanta and Deacon J.B.Davis in the old church. On May 9,1891 the congregation elected an Elder . The following Trustees were also elected: Messers, John Williams, Donald Williams, and William Craig. On May 8,1892, Mr. A.T.Roberts was elected and he and Mr. Donald Williams were ordained and installed as Elders in Fairview Church. This made the official force of the church to consist of Elders: W.D.Byrd, J.B.Davis, Donald S.Williams, and A.T.Roberts and Deacon William Craig. Practically all the members who withdrew to form the church at Lawrenceville were residents of the town and it was the most sane and logical thing to do, weakening as it was to the old church. Time has shown the wisdom of this step and in the present activity and prosperity of both churches can be read the fact that the wisdom of the all-wise Father has been leading in and through all. During the last years of Brother King's ministry, his parishoners at Fairview clung to him with a love and devotion only equaled by the tenderness of his heart for them. He literally wore out at Fairview and died in harness. He often expressed the wish to be buried at Fairview where he had a little son buried; his grave is tenderly cared for by our members and he still lives in the hearts of many at Fairview.

The church was left vacant after Brother King departed until August, 1902 when Rev.W.Lee Harrell became Pastor; his pastorate covered the annual meetings in August 1902-1903. Rev.W.P.Hemphill, evangelist, was present during the August meeting 1902; among those who joined at this time was our present Treasurer, Mr.Frank Y.Williams. From this time for several years the church was without a pastor. In 1905, the Rev.W.P.Hemphill returned and conducted the August meeting. This was a very successful meeting and did much to revive the members and hold them together. Among those joining at this time were G.P.Craig, Precious Craig, John Beaucham, W.D.Huston, Henry Craig, Evelyn Childers, and Lizzie Huston.

In 1906, the Rev.J.H.Dixon served as Pastor; at the August meeting the following were enrolled as members: Ruth Williams, Susie Williams, Nellie Williams, and Minnie Craig.

In August 1907, Evangelist, Frank D.Hunt of Atlanta Presbytery came to Fairview and succeeded in arousing a good deal of enthusiasm; firing the members with faith in God and in themselves and with zeal for the work. The Following were received into the church at this time: Robert M.Kemp, his wife Margaret S.Kemp, Mrs. Sam Craig, Mrs. Lola F.Brownlee, Hattie F.Thompson, and Susie Quinn.

The following officers were elected, ordained, and installed:
Elders
Samuel Craig
Claude G.Craig
J.C.Williams

Deacons
Frank Y.Williams
W.D.Huston
R.M.Kemp

At this time a building committee was appointed to have charge of the repairs of the church, consisting of Samuel Craig, J.C.Williams, and Claude G.Craig.

The present Pastor of the church (Rev.Fritz Rauschenberg) began serving in October, 1907; preaching for the church once a month, coming from the Seminary in Columbia, S.C. until May, 1908, when he was installed as Pastor by a commission from the Atlanta Presbytery. He found the congregation ready for a foward movement; thanks to the efforts of Rev.Frank D.Hunt, the sturdy strength of character of the leading element of the church and withal the presence and blessing of Holy Spirit of God who has lead us to this good moment and made all these blessings possible. The periods of depression in the History of the Church are not as discouraging as might appear, for the Church has kept pace with the State; prospering when she prospered and suffering when she suffered. For example, Georgia ranked 13th among the States of the Union in 1790; 12th in 1800; 10th in 1810; and in 1820. Fairview organized in 1823; Fairview growing fast was 10th in 1830; 9th in 1840 and 1850 her palmiest days; 11th in 1860, going down;12th in 1870, just holding her own; 13th in 1880, at a standstill; 12th in 1890; 11th in 1900, again prosperous. In 1908 the State, prospering as never before. May we not hope that all the prosperity of the beloved Church to-day is but the forerunner of a lasting era of power and usefulness. I desire to give here a list of those who have contributed of their means to this work and will state that many of them place it on this basis: To erect a suitable building to the memory of those gone before, many of whom sleep hard by in our city of the dead; to have a decent and comfortable to be for present use; and to build for our children, even as we have inherited from the past and to glorify God in it all. With such worthy motives is it any wonder that God has so blessed this effort?

Yea, he will bless us yet more.

 

Link to Fairview Presbyterian Church Web Site


 

TOP OF PAGE

usgw
Gwinnett Cemeteries
GaGenWeb

This Gwinnett County GAGenWeb site is part of the official
USGenWeb Project

*****************************************************************************

This file was contributed for use by the Gwinnett County GAGenWeb Project  by:

Pat Sabin
August 15, 2004
Updated August 22, 2005

USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file.

These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent.

****************************************************************************

Original color photograph(s) on these pages are 1999-2004, Pat Sabin unless otherwise noted on the page, and is/are offered here for the exclusive and permanent use of the Gwinnett County GAGenWeb Project,  part of the official USGenWeb Project.  You are welcome to use any of my images for personal use, but please do not use in any other publication (print or electronic) without permission.


   Backgrounds By Marie
                   http://www.artistic-designers.com/bkgds/index.html