Gloster was a flag station on the Seaboard Railroad, five miles west of Lawrenceville, and it was named for an official of the Railroad. A post office was established there in 1893.
the road near Bethesda Methodist Church and
owned and operated a
business in 1875 across from his home. He
later moved his store
a large building at Gloster.
Gloster Baptist Church was organized by Rev. John E. Kennerly April 12, 1901. Its charter members were J. F. Langley, Zilla Langley, Henry Hughes, Manery Hughes, M.A. Hughes, Elizabeth Jackson, W.E. Hughes, Killian Jackson, Frank Hughes, J. W. Wages, Dicy Wages, J. M. Wages. The building was erected in 1902.
There are several building supply companies
and a number of
older frame houses along the railroad and
Gloster Road. Pictured
above in the "Main Street" photo is Wilkins
find the old town of Gloster, take Gloster Road
east from Lawrenceville
Highway (Hwy 29). Where Gloster Rd.
crosses over the railroad
tracks, it becomes Oak Road.
History of Gwinnett County, 1818-1960, Volume II, by James C. Flanigan, copyright 1959
Photographs taken May 20, 2006 by Pat Sabin.