HOG MOUNTAIN, GEORGIA
Est. Before 1812
The military fort erected near Hog Mountain was the result of the early settlement's being surrounded by Cherokee Indians who were at that time loyal to the British. The construction of Peachtree Road in 1813 made this community a center of trade and commerce.
The Hog Mountain House was the first hotel in the county. It was erected by Shadrack Bogan, who married Ann Fee in Augusta and moved to Hog Mountain in 1815. Bogan also owned a store which was a trading post for whites and Indians. The Hog Mountain House was known for its hospitality, comfortable beds and good food.
Moore and Maltbie had been operating a trading post several years before Shadrack Bogan settled at Hog Mountain. Mr. Moore died in 1814 on a buying trip to New York, and Mr. Maltbie remained in the community and continued to run a prosperous business until the county seat was moved in 1821. He became the first post master of Lawrenceville.
Hog Mountain has been in three different counties: Franklin, Jackson and Gwinnett. For many years it was on the stagecoach route. A mail route was authorized in 1821 from Monticello, Monroe, Lawrenceville, and on to Gainesville by way of Hog Mountain.
The Hog Mountain Baptist Church was organized in 1854 by Rev. Amos Hadaway and Rev. D.H. Moncrief. The charter members were Lucy Ann Pitman, Thomas Pitman, John M. Pitman, Frances M. Morgan, John Morgan, Amanda Pitman, Wm. T. Pitman, Julia Ann Head, Willis Head, Isabel Hadaway, and James R. Hadaway. The first building was erected in 1854 and replaced in 1905.
TOP OF PAGE