The Luxomni community began in 1891 as a railroad flag station, about one mile east of Lilburn. The name came from two Latin words. "Lux" is the Latin word for light, and "omni" in Latin means all. The name Luxomni means "Light for all".
In the early days Luxomni had a post office, a church, a Masonic lodge and several residents.
The Luxomni Baptist Church was organized July 20, 1895, with Mannie Todd, Katy Garner, Joseph Garner, Mamy Collins, Ange Holt, R.N.Holt, Martha McNeal, J.M. McNeal, M.B. Haney, Leety Garner and R.P. Garner as charter members. The church council included E.C. McDaniel, F.M. Cain, Rev. John E. Kennerly, Rev. J.P. McConnell and Rev. W.T. Aikin, the last named acting as moderator and E.C. McDaniel Clerk. The church still exists but the original building has been replaced by a modern brick building. The cemetery is nicely maintained.
Not much is left of what was once Luxomni. There are a few small, older homes on Arcado Road and Luxomni Road (which runs from Arcado to Highway 29-Lawrenceville Highway), but there's nothing left of the community that existed in the 1880s and 90s.
Be sure to tour Luxomni photographs
and vintage postcards in our GWINNETT
TOP OF PAGE