The begining of Norcross actually was the Pinckneyville community, the oldest white village in the southeast region of the county. It was located on the old Peachtree Road where travelers came south out of the Cherokee lands down Rogers Road and Medlock Road crossed the Chattahoochee River. Several Indian trails converged here.
It was named for Charles Pinckney a diplomat from South Carolina who had visited the area. It was a trading post and the Militia and Inferior Court met here. A post office was maintained from 1828-1866.
The first inn in the region, the Hunnicutt Inn, was on the stagecoach route that ran from Savannah west to Bennington, Alabama. The first church in the community was Mt. Carmel Church, organized in 1826. Washington Academy was incorporated in 1827 to provide education for the children of the community. Later, Shiloh Baptist Church was organized. When the town of Norcross was established, most of the commerce moved to that town.
Early settlers of Pinckneyville were the families of Martin, Hoyle, Jones, Medlock, Hunnicutt, Hamilton, Nesbit, Carroll, Clements, Ivy, Simpson, Dean, Goza, Sudderth, Grogan, Bolton, McDaniel, Hopkins, Russell, Jenkins and Boyce.Sources:
History of Gwinnett County, 1818-1960, Volume II, by James C. Flanigan, copyright 1959
TOP OF PAGE