Est. Before 1855
Like many Gwinnett towns, the town of Suwanee dates back to when the railroad was constructed through that section of Gwinnett County in 1871. The building pictured above was built in 1910 by George W. Little, and came to be known as the Pierce's Corner store (Town of Suwanee, Georiga Early History by Richard P. Plumer).
Suwanee Old Town was an Indian Village on the Chattahoochee near Suwanee Creek. It got its name from the Shawnee tribe who settled there in the late 1700's, but the village itself is believed to be several hundred years old.
Shortly after the completion of the railroad and depot the town was incorporated. Businesses and homes were erected, a school established, and Methodist and Baptist churches formed. The area was settled by the families of Brown, Brogdon, Strickland, Armstrong, Douglas, Verner, Baxter, and others. James Brown was the first postmaster and tax collector.
Suwanee Methodist Church began with worship services held in the school building. In 1876 the church as organized with 34 members, and the first building was erected in 1879 or 80. Heavy wind caused such damage to the building in 1909, it was decided to replace the building on a new site. The existing building, on a hill overlooking the town, was completed in 1910 at a cost of $2,000.
The early ministers, each serving for one to two years, were: M. H. Eakes, Joseph Carr, J. R. Smith, W. P. Smith, W. S. Bradley, J. H. Mashburn, K. Reed, J. R. King, H. M. Newton, J. T. Curtis, B. E. L. Timmons, George Quillian, M. H. Edwards, W. B. Ledbetter, J. L. Moon, W. A. Parks, T. H. Timmons, T. J. Warlick, W. L. Singleton, F. G. Golden, W. W. Gaines, W. E. McBreyer, S. H. Braswell, F. R. Smith, J W. Stipe, and H. E. Scott.
begun before the Civil War, the first records of
the Suwanee First
Church are of it's organization in 1886 by H. W.
Rhodes, J. H. Braziel,
Mose Martin, C. B. Pool and J. L. R.
Barrett. The name was
changed in 1949 from Suwanee Town Baptist Church
to Suwanee First
In 1881 a railroad was constructed from Lawrenceville to Suwanee, connecting there with the Southern Railroad.
The Rhodes Hotel was built in 1876. School teachers would travel by train from Atlanta and stay in the hotel during the week, returning home to Atlanta every weekend. The stately Victorian frame house is now a private residence.
John B. Brogdon
of the town's successful merchants. Others
well known businessmen
were J.W. Beaty, Emory S. Brogdon, Clayton
Turner, William Wilson, M.T.
Verner, Mack Wheeler, and G.W. Little.
is a quaint
little town straddling the railroad tracks, near
the crossroads of
Highway (Highway 23) and Suwanee Dam Road.
A few of the old
are still standing and have been converted to
antique shops. New
storefront buildings are under construction
(December 1999) in the old
style of the 1880s. Many lovely old homes
still exist, and the
Church and small cemetery still overlooks the
town. The Baptist
has been replaced by a modern building.
Town" is still
preserved, there is a booming town center on the
east side of Buford
Highway, anchored by the Suwanee City Hall, Town
Center Park, shops and
Above: Suwanee City Hall and Town Center Park
photos of Suwanee in the Gwinnett County PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE