demolished in 1926.
The Women's Temple was commissioned by the Women's Christian Temperance Union. Some called it excessively fussy and feminine, but Root felt that a building also should represent those who commissioned it (another argument was that this particular group's tendencies would have been to a plainer, more utilitarian design). It was, however, a typical John Root design in that it was functional and designed to permit as much light as possible into the interior of the building.
Appears in this Rand McNally 1893 3-D map at the Univ. of Illinois at Chicago:
Next Scene: Stock Exchange -c1910