The predessesor of St. Jude was St. Bartholomew's Parish established in Colleton County in 1706. The first church, "Pon Pon Chapel", was built in 1725 near Jacksonboro'. The Walterborough Chapel was built in 1826 as a place of worship for the summer months.
St. Jude was consecrated in 1852 and, on October 25, 1855, St. Jude was made an independent parish from St. Bartholomew. The building was destroyed by the Cyclone of 1879.
The present building, pictured above, was completed and consecrated January 13, 1882, with the Right Reverend William Bell W. Howe, Bishop of South Carolina, presiding.
Source: Backward Glances, copyright 1976, Colleton Artists Guild
top of page